One of the objectives of the KNOWGATE project is to share information resources among CSIR laboratries. One way to achieve this objective is to create institutional repositories.
DSpace is the software of choice for academic, non-profit, and commercial organizations building open digital repositories. It is free and easy to install "out of the box" and completely customizable to fit the needs of any organization.
DSpace preserves and enables easy and open access to all types of digital content including text, images, moving images, mpegs and data sets. And with an ever-growing community of developers, committed to continuously expanding and improving the software, each DSpace installation benefits from the next.
Top Reasons To Use DSpace:
- Largest community of users and developers worldwide
- Free open source software
- Completely customizable to fit your needs
- Used by educational, government, private and commercial instutions
- Can be installed out of the box
- Can manage and preserve all types of digital content
See presentation files and other technical document related to DSpace 5:
- Instruction for open source operating system installation of CentOS 6.x (linux)
- Understanding basics of Linux
- Know about DSpace an open source digital repository
- Brief overview of installation of DSpace on CentOS (linux)
- Download DSpace script and software, extract folder from compressed zip file and copy all files in /opt directory. This folder contain installation script for DSpace 3.2, 4.2 and 5.0 version. For installation run command in linux terminal #sh install_dspace50.sh (DSpace 5.0), #sh install_dspace32.sh (DSpace 3.2) and #sh install_dspace42.sh (DSpace 4.2)
- For practicizing of DSpace Installation follow instrunction
- See presentation slide for DSpace Administration
- See presentation slide for DSpace Settings, e.g E-mail configuration, languages, full text search, advance (facet) search, metadata hiding, RSS feed, Discover etc.
- User interface customization, by css and some jsp file editing etc.
- DSpace Discovery settings with custom metadata on home page and sidebar page and also set in Facet Search. See DSpace Discovery formatted example document and DSpace Discovery sample xml file
- Use DSpace Statistics for check repositories uses by online
- See instruction for DSpace Backup/Restore for recover your repositries from any kind of systems failure
- Instrunction for DSpace settings with LDAP as use centralized ACL. See DSpace sample configured authentication.cfg and authentication-ldap.cfg
- Use OAI-PMH for data harvesting
The following presentation are prepared by KNOWGATE Team for training on building institutional repositories using Open Source Repository. Download DSpace 5 presentation files from below Related Assets
For more information :